The Museum of the History of the Excavations of Olympia is the so-called Old Ephorate and was built in the early 20th century. Initially it functioned as an auxiliary space of the Old Museum. In 2003, the Ministry of Culture decided to turn the building into an exhibition area, presenting the history of the excavations of Olympia from 1875 until today, emphasizing on the great excavation of the Sanctuary of Zeus of Olympia, a huge and expensive excavation of Olympia, which is one of the largest excavations carried out in Greece by the German Archaeological Institute of Athens. It has a very interesting collection of photografs. At the back of the building there are toilets to serve guests.